This dish has been a popular potluck side dish, but it is filling enough to stand on its own as a meal. Whether alone or with a side salad, this incredibly simple dish is an unexpected and savory take on the sweet potato.
4 red garnet sweet potatoes
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 bell pepper, diced
1 small white or yellow onion, diced
1 cup frozen kernel corn
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Cut sweet potatoes in half, long-ways. Wrap each piece in aluminum foil.
- Bake sweet potatoes for 1 hour or until very soft.
- Sauté pepper and onion in olive oil until soft and slightly browned.
- Add frozen corn and ½ cup water to vegetable mixture. Cover, stirring occasionally until corn is soft.
- Add salt and pepper to the vegetable mixture to taste.
- Unwrap cooked sweet potatoes and place neatly in a serving dish. Top with the vegetable mixture and serve.